Monday, February 16, 2015

My Top 5/25 that WRONG


My logic behind ranking these (in no particular order this time) stems on the amount of shock/absurdity I felt when reading some of these quotes/ideas. They stand as my top simply on the basis of standing out and therefore being memorable to me.

  1. This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a means of communication. The device is inherently of no values to us." - Western Union Internal Memo, 1976 
    • This one stood out for two reasons: 1) Telephone is a vital part of communication in modern day, I find myself using it daily for calls across distances. 2) It ended up rather ironic to me because they do allow people to call in to send money across distances, so it did in the end instill a type of value.
  2. The Americans have need of the telephone, but we do not. We have plenty of messenger boys." - Sir William Preece, Chief Engineer British Post Office, 1878 
    • I just thought this one was funny because of the arrogant tone of the speaker. However, he is clearly wrong because in modern day, there are the iconic red telephone boxes that everyone seems to take pictures of. And clearly, there are cell phone users everywhere in the world. 
  3. "If excessive smoking actually plays a role in the production of lung cancer, it seems to be a minor one." -W.C. Heuper, National Cancer Institute, 1954 
    • This one I understand from a marketing standpoint, but to claim "a minor one" just seems ridiculous to me. If there's no actual proof, why claim something is minor? And of course, there is an association in the end. 
  4. I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943 
    • I had to scoff at this one. We definitely use computers. I'm using one right now and our campus especially seems to flourish with 13.3 inch Apple MacBooks. 
  5. "There will never be a bigger plane built." -A Boeing Engineer, after the first flight of the 247, a twin engine plane that holds ten people. 
    • The word "never" seems so final, so it's easy to see why he was proven wrong. I can't imagine a plane from Oakland to San Diego carrying only 10 passengers (considering I make the flight VERY often). 




2 comments:

  1. I thought your criteria was unique- interesting take on how to choose the worst predictions. It would have been cool to dig a little deeper into how the predictions that seem so wrong today were justified by their authors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Abbey!

      Thank you for your comment; I chose the method that kind of seemed easiest what stuck out to me. I watched your video/read your blog post on your choices and I agree with your comment that digging a little deeper would bring greater clarity to my explanations.

      Delete