Saturday, January 31, 2015

Top 10 Technological Innovations


Although I had presented this in class, I want to emphasize that my reasoning behind all ten of these innovations was thinking through the perspective of "Globalization" and ideas that spurred a greater interconnectedness of people throughout the globe.


These are ordered from "least to most important":

"Connecting" the world together
  1. The Printing Press 
    • This allowed the widespread and production of ideas beyond villages and smaller areas of domain; people were able to spread culture, religion, ect. because movable type print made ideas more accessible. 
  2. The Telegraph 
    • The telegraph is the precursor to other later forms of communication; it made boundaries smaller by decreasing the time it took to deliver messages. 
  3. The Steam Engine 
    • It was a means of travel that wasn't reliant on merely man or animal, it paved the pathway for greater transportation opportunities. 
  4. The Automobile
    • The automobile served as another means of transportation, but as a push to develop greater infrastructure, such as roads to accommodates this new means of production. 
  5. The Airplane 
    • While literally defying gravity, it also served as way to physically connect people across borders in a faster, more efficient way than another transportation prior to its time. 
  6. GPS 
    • It holds significance in being able to venture beyond one's unknown, greater interconnecting the world through reducing fear of being lost or unable to find one's destination. 
  7. The Radio
    • This was a wireless form of communication, that allowed a more "instant" form of communication. 
  8. The Internet 
    • The internet created a "virtual community" and bridges locational gaps between people by making them easily accessible.
  9. The Smartphone 
    • It is a centralized device that holds applications that aid the globalization and "smaller distances" in connecting people together. 
  10. Electricity 
    • I feel this is the most critical invention because it's an innovation that we take for granted (unless there is a power outage or the resource becomes scarce). It stands as the basis for progress beyond the natural resource of sunlight. 


8 comments:

  1. I think your post is very clean and organized. In each invention, it was helpful how you put the significance of the invention. It's also nice how you included an image within the post. Perhaps you could explain why electricity is #10 and the GPS is #6. Does the order have any significance? Thanks for your post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kimberly! I really like how your top 10 technological innovations are based around the theme of Globalization and interrconnectedness since the way socities communicate nowadays has radically changed. The post has also been clearly presented in a structured way. Moreover, your comments on each invention are brief, yet insightful and informative -- which is what a blog is all about. However, you could offer a bit more detail and information on why each invention is in that particular order. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kimberly, I thought your justifications were really good. I like how there is a good balance of old and new inventions. Like Shyla, I was wondering if your inventions were sorted in terms of importance. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with most of your ideas, but isn't the idea of a GPS more than travel? Humans have been traveling for millenniums without GPS. I would argue that its functionality comes more from the military and also commercial use. Such as a compliment to smartphones or as a targeting device for military weapons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Matthew,

      Thank you for comment and for your input on expanding the GPS. Originally in my slides, I had commentary on military usage as well as civilian but felt that the topic of globalization kind of fit travel better. Looking back at this comment, I agree that maybe those weren't details that I should have omitted.

      Delete
  5. Hola Kimberly!

    Its pretty cool that you were born in Guam! I like your comment about how humans take electricity for granted. I definitely think the indication of a top invention is definitely exactly this, that this technology its so embedded into our culture that there is no way we can imagine life without it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kimberly!

    Great job on the post. I also thought it was very clean and easy to read. You had some very interesting choices for your top 10 inventions. One interesting thing I noticed was that you put smartphone on your list but didn't put the computer on your list. Did you any specific reason for this? Just wondering. But good job again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Echoing some of the earlier comments, I loved your organized, simple, and clean your layout is. It really makes reading your content much more enjoyable. With that said, I like how you included both modern and older inventions. As a suggestion, you could include more details or examples as to how these inventions tangibly helped improve the world. Overall, nice work!

    ReplyDelete