Friday, February 27, 2015

Cups & Sleeves

I decided to approach these patents very linearly through a chronological timeline. I am choosing to address everything this way because I feel as though we as people have a natural progression to improve inventions and technologies over time. 

  1. Thermal Coffee Cup (July 20, 1948) 
    1. Focusing on serving hot beverages at public gatherings, disposable container 
    2. Container + Cap (which can be ripped away) 
    3. Container Jacket - similar to sleeve, for advertisements 
  2. Sleeve Construction for Improved Paperboard Cup Insulation (May 3, 1999) 
    1. Construction of paperboard cups, low-melt glue dots to improve insulation 
    2. Improvement on the past sleeve because of lightweight material, good price for economy 
  3. Insulating Sleeve (May 4, 2000) 
    1. One part of sleeve spaced away from cup, improvement of insulation 
    2. Functionality for hot and cold beverages 
    3. Wings allow for storage of condiments (milk, creamer) 
  4. Insulator Sleeve for a Beverage Container (March 1, 2007) 
    1. Frusto-Conic Sleeves (one inner, one outer) 
    2. Saving cardboard due to double capping, more environmentally friendly 
    3. Reusable beverage sleeve 
  5. Beverage Cup Sleeving System and Method (August 23, 2007) 
    1. Insulating system; compromised of many different layers 
    2. Usable when wet, good for hot and cold; reusable and easy to manufacture
    3. improving the system 
  6. Temperature-Inducing Sleeve and Related Container (December 14, 2007)
    1. An indicator on the outside sleeve to show the temperature of your beverage 
    2. Difficult for the consumer to know if the beverage is at a good temperature for consumption
  7. Protective Sleeve (July 21, 2009) 
    1. Archlike sleeve; reduce costs, paper to make sleeves 
    2. Decrease heat transfer; adapting to cup shape 
  8. Hot and Cold Cup Sleeve (February 6, 2014)
    1. Disposable sleeve for hot and cold beverages 
    2. Three layer sleeve (water-absorbent lining, laminate film layer binding lining to outer layer, outer layer - easy to gip & water repellent)

4 comments:

  1. I loved how you organized your analysis to show more of an arc in the development of sleeves. It's a very thoughtful and logical way to determine which patents are more important. I also like how concise you were- great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked how you mentioned about the logical way of determining the importance of the patents. It was definitely something I was thinking about and I do agree on the conciseness of the blog.

      Delete
  2. Hi Kimberley,
    Your blog post is very well organized. I like that you numbered everything like an outline and highlighted the main features/claims of each patent. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to be concise and to the point with your breakdown of the important claims. Also, the way you ordered everything chronologically helps the reader follow the development of the coffee cup sleeve, and adds a bit more context to each invention. Looks good! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete