Initially, I had examined technological advances as a means to interconnect the world through globalization. However, the second time around, while selecting these inventions, I decided to take the approach of ones that I think are essential to one's DAILY life. I chose this route as a smaller scale to contrast the larger one I had created initially. The order I've chosen is just a personal preference of how these items have influenced my daily life.
- Electricity
- Interestingly enough, this is the number one invention in both of my lists because of the implications behind its use. Without electricity, we would be limited to a natural world, dependent on natural light and natural resources instead of the devices that we enjoy today.
- Sewage System
- This one definitely hit my list after class. The sewage system serves ensures safety through treating water, sanitizing it and helping to conserve the environment through doing so.
- Refrigerator
- Prior to the refrigerator, salts and spices were used. This allowed food preservation to escalate to new heights and served as more reliable method against spoilage and bacteria.
- Wheel
- The wheel is the basis for many inventions we have today, many everyday mechanisms, including automobiles, chairs, bikes and parts in devices use wheels.
- Penicillin
- It is an antibiotic drug that helped increase the lifespan and likelihood of survival against diseases that were otherwise fatal. Again, as mentioned in class, many children were dying before the age of 12 and many women died in labor, this simple antibiotic helped greatly reduced those risks.
- Language
- Without language, there is no possible way for understanding. Prior to oral or written language, it was difficult to communicate feelings, desires or even understand instructions.
- Internet
- This is significant in the sense that we rely on the internet greatly for functioning in daily lives - may it be through social media, research, ect., the internet serves as a readily available source of information.
- Currency
- Without currency, we would literally be holding the value of $20 in gold in our wallets. Initially, currency/money served as a means of trade and value against spoilage in goods, but serves today as a way for us to pay for commodities/services through the value of gold.
- Automobiles
- This is self explanatory I feel for taking one place to place. While I used this more at home than in Berkeley, this allows for traveling of greater distances than man or muscle power.
- Glass
- It has countless uses in the preservation of food, beverage consumption, use in windows, mirrors, glasses, ect.
Hello, I agree with your choices for the top 10 but the one that stood out to me most was glass because it is something we use every day but don't take into account how fundamental it is to our life.
ReplyDeleteHi Kimberly!
ReplyDeleteNice job on explaining the change in your logic. I think looking more deeply into what affects you personally or things we take for granted is a really good way to see which inventions were the most ground breaking. I didn't see glass immediately, but its really nice to hear something different and the reasoning behind it. Thats probably why I don't see it in many other presentations. If I had one minor suggestion, maybe it would be to add graphics to make the post less text-heavy. But that's all! Nice job!
Hi Nate,
DeleteThank you for your comment and for understanding my rational in choosing lesser justified inventions, such as glass. Looking back and comparing this post to my other top 10 inventions, I do agree that the text could be better supplemented with other visuals since everyone learns in different ways.