Friday, April 17, 2015

Lessons from Fashion's Free Culture

*I apologize for how dark the video is!

Things to Note:

  • Only thing there really is, trademark protection; you can't knock-off the logo 
  • Very little intellectual property protection 
  • "Apparel is too utilitarian to qualify for copyright protection" 
"Without ownership there is no incentive to innovate" 
  • True in cases, such as medicine (i.e. brand name v. generic pills) 
  • Fashion designers take "samples" from other designers, other ideas 
  • Those benefitting most: knocking off high end designs, selling them for cheaper
"Fast Fashion" Benefits: 
  • Quick trends, move product 
  • Fashionistas can stay ahead of the curve; moving onto the next trend 
  • Forcing innovation; others won't be able to replicate
    • Signature look
Who owns a look? 
  • Expensive, difficult to do 
Other industries without copyright (utilitarian): 
Utilitarian: designed to be useful or practical rather than attractive 
  • Food 
  • Automobiles 
  • Furniture 
  • Magic Tricks 
  • Hairdos 
  • Open-Source Software 
  • Tattoo Artists 
  • Jokes 
  • Fireworks 
  • Rules of Games 
  • Smell of Perfume 
My Commentary: 
  • I wonder if this would work for pharmaceuticals; is fashion and other utilitarian industries a good indicator for innovation? 
  • For tattoo artists, what if you tattoo a patented character (i.e. some Disney characters), is it utilitarian? 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kimberly,

    I'm really intrigued by the structure of your blog posts. I find it so easy to follow and navigate. Good job adding an additional list of other industries without copyright

    Sasha

    ReplyDelete