Social Media Learning
I feel that this method of learning is invaluable; it’s important that we understand how to use technology to our advantages and build skills that will better engage us with the future.
Initially, I was very apprehensive about making videos; often, I would mess up in the beginning, stop the video and restart it. It was frustrating to say the least.
This method - while seemingly unconventional helped me to develop soft skills.
- Articulate my words clearly
- Greater means of organizing
- Collaborative learning
Rather than simply memorizing information, I was interacting with topics from my own research and then learning about more explanations and other means of interpretation from my peer’s blog posts and videos.
I think that for some departments, especially for topics that stimulate a lot of discussion and have a lot of information, this is a good way to teach:
- Soft Skills
- Understanding the digital world
- Solidify concepts that are taught in class
For some departments, such as classes with formulas, labs or numbers, perhaps this would not be the most effective way.
I feel that professors should implement some form of this - may it be tweeting during lectures for collaborative learning or other means, I think this is an invaluable way of teaching.
Hi there! Overall, enjoyed reading the type of skills that you were able to receive through the social media learning environment that Professor Lavian was able to create in his course this semester. We gained a lot of the skills that you talked about, and even more! Although I agree that really only some types of classes would be able to benefit from the type of social media learning that is involved, I do believe that we are able to implement in a few different types of classes in the future! I think business and engineering courses could really benefit from this learning, and hope we can continue this trend in the future.
ReplyDeleteI liked your addition of teaching soft skills by stimulating discussion and using social media as means of teaching. It makes sense that you split up teaching using social media versus more traditional practices depending on which department the students come from. I agree with this, and I think it's great that you mention it — alluding to the feasibility of what teaching methods successfully work in the classroom.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading this blog. Most people write in blocks of text making it hard to read and understand. The fact that you are so concise and use bullet points makes it so much easier for us. I agree that this course helped me with many soft skills. Like you, I was able to articulate my words clearly, have greater means of organizing, and learned more about collaborative learning.
ReplyDeleteHey Kimberly, I really liked the way you analyzed the way that the content of this class lends itself to social-media-oriented collaborative learning, and the way that other classes might not benefit as much from this system. I also agree that while initially doing the videos took a lot of time, it became easier as we learned to prepare well for them.
ReplyDeleteHi Kimberly,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading this post and it was nice to see how structured and concise the post was. It really facilitates the learning process when posts aren't so fluffy, and are more to the point. I totally agree with you in that the method of Social Media Learning is invaluable and will prove to have many benefits not only in the class, but in any learning environment. Overall great post and I wish you luck in your future!
Best,
Paras Majmundar